Switch It Off Week is running from this Monday (November 9) until Friday November 13). The campaign culminates in the Big Switch Off, 4.30pm - 6.30pm, on Friday when electricity usage across the county will be monitored by Central Networks to see whether everyone making small changes such as switching the TV off standby can make a big difference to the overall energy demand.
Last year during the Big Switch Off, Worcestershire saved enough energy to power over 1500 typical three-bedroom homes for a whole year. If we continued to save this amount on energy over a whole year, we could power 528,000 homes the following year (more than double the number of homes in Worcestershire!).
Did you know..?
• A computer left on 24 hours per day could cost you £50 per year to run. By switching off and enabling standby features, the cost could be reduced by 30%.
• Leaving a games console on 24hours per day could cost you £39 per year
• Switching to energy saving light bulbs could save you £60 over the lifetime of the bulb.
• Swapping halogen spotlight bulbs for replacement LED lights would save 47watts of energy for each bulb. Replacing 22 bulbs would save £300 per year.
How can I be involved..?
• Take part in the Big Switch Off by turning off appliances that are on standby
• Switch appliances off at the plug
• Attend one of the Dine by Candlelight events in Worcestershire. Visit www.worcestershire.gov.uk/dinebycandlelight for participating eateries
• Carrying on switching off, even after Switch It Off Week is over - and enjoy the benefits all year round.
Warriors already use many energy efficient products in the Slick Systems Stand - and now we are urging you to get involved this Friday with the Big Switch Off!
For further information about the campaign visit www.worcestershire.gov.uk/switchitoff
For information about home energy efficiency visit www.worcestershire.gov.uk/greendirectroy